Wednesday 27 May 2009

Illumination - Lighting Design

Year 1 - project 3

For this project we were given a one day brief to create a unique light from what ever we could find around us. The light below was the final lighting design I went with for this project. I got the idea from Japanese origami and thought this folded cube was one of the most effective.


We were then given our 4 week project brief which asked us to create a luminaire from materials that we had lying around our work areas. In the examples below I mostly used strips of paper and card to create random shapes, that when lit give off a effective and interesting look.



Foam was also a material I had in large amounts. So I experimented with shapes and form. Mixing colours also gave off a variety of different shades and tones.

I then came across liquid latex which I had not used and was interested to see what would happen when I set other things in it while it was drying. I created the odd shape in the image below with wire set in the latex. As well as adding bin liners and inks.





This was the end product of the project. The final design is consisted of two parts. A head and tail. It was inspired by a jellyfish which obviously inhabits the sea. My main statement for the project was I was creating a light that represents how pollution is affecting the sea.

The head of the light was made of strips of ink covered latex laminated on plastic. It was then hinged on a metal rod and arranged as shown. The tail was made of bubble wrap and was attached to the to the metal rod inside the head.



No comments:

Post a Comment